Thanks to my friend Eva for tagging me in this blog challenge:) I met Eva (first online, then f2f) a couple of years ago, and she is one of the most valuable members of my PLN.
Well, to say the truth, the challenge seemed a bit confusing to me, but I thought it could be fun.
If you would like to join, here is what you need to do:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers.
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
Let me start…
11 Random Facts About Myself
My views about the education system has changed dramatically when my son started school. I think Ata unknowingly helps me a lot to become a better educator.
I have very strong views about ‘homework’. I think it is more harm than good when it is given for the sake of giving it. At the moment, I’m preparing for writing a blog post about it.
I am reading two books at the moment. The first one is a novel by Elif Shafak, Ustam ve Ben; the second one is about Village Institutes that were founded in 1940 and closed in 1953 and known as a great success in Turkish education history.
My most favorite place in our house is the study room, which is full of books.
My most favorite flower is lilium.
I love watching “The Good Wife”, “Law and Order: SVU” and “Criminal Minds”.
I started drinking wheat grass juice a month ago. They say it has numerous benefits to health. (You can read “50 reasons to drink wheat grass everyday”) By the way, it has a very intense taste but it becomes drinkable when you mix it with apple juice:)
I love my music collection on iTunes…actually I love everything that Apple brought to our lives.
The apps I use the most are Evernote, Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter, Kobo and CineBeat (for fun:).
Learning Spanish is one of my new year’s resolutions (again:)
I guess I would be a graphic designer or event organizer (or both!) if I wasn’t an educator.
My Answers to Eva’s 11 Questions
1. Do you remember the first class you entered as a teacher?
It was an upper-intermediate group of adult learners in a language school. Although it was a wonderful class, the only feeling I remember from the first day is fear:) As the days went by, I started feeling better and more confident. I think I gained a lot from the experience in that language school in the beginning of my career.
2. What is your favorite social media platform? Why?
Both Twitter and Facebook. Facebook and Twitter are different in many ways but it is all about ‘sharing’. I believe I have a network of wonderful people and I learn a lot from them.
3. How do you think blogging helps your teaching?
Blogging helps me think, reflect and read more. I feel good when people read my blog.
4. Tea or Coffee?
Green tea and Turkish coffee.
5. Who is your favorite singer, band, musician?
I can say that I listen to all types of music. Nowadays I listen to Pink Martini, Buika, Vanessa Da Mata and Pink.
6. Do you attend conferences? Why? / why not?
Especially after Ata was born, I prefer to spend my weekends with my family. But I try not to miss good quality events. It is good to catch up with friends and follow what is going on in our field.
7. Who were the most helpful tweeters or bloggers for you when you started blogging or tweeting?
I started blogging in 2008 with my students, and the class blogs I found on Edublogs gave me brilliant ideas. I’ve been on Twitter since March, 2009. I can say that I learned blogging and using Twitter on my own. I don’t know how many English teachers we were, but it was a small group at the beginning. It is great to see more and more teachers start using social networks for professional development.
(By the way, you can see how long you have been on Twitter on http://twopcharts.com/howlongontwitter.)
8. What will be the first goal in your New Year’s resolutions list this year?
I have a long reading list this year. Apart from this, I want to blog regularly and more frequently.
9. Where would you like to travel in 2014?
I want to travel to Wudang Mountains, the great place I saw in the latest Karate Kid movie:). Probably not 2014, but definitely before I am too old to climb:)
10. How long does it take to write a blog post for you and how often do you update your blog?
I spend a few hours for a blog post. Writing once or twice a month is ideal for me but I wasn’t successful at this in 2013. Fingers crossed for the new year:)
11. What is your favorite food?
I don’t have a favorite food. I love eating good food and I am open to new tastes as long as it is not a kind of an insect:)
- What would you be if you weren’t a teacher?
- Choose three adjectives that your students (or colleagues) would use to tell someone about you.
- What would you be if you were an animal? Why?
- If you could choose a superpower, what would it be?
- What kind of people you find most difficult to work with?
- What is your biggest dream?
- Is there a book/a person /etc. that you think changed your life? What/Who was it? How did it/she/he change your life?
- Is there a piece of technology that you cannot live without? What is it?
- What would your advice be to a new teacher?
- What is your biggest strength as an educator?
- What is your favorite quote?
Bloggers That I’m Tagging for This Challenge (sorry if you’ve been tagged before, and it’s OK if you don’t have time to respond:)